Annual Meeting – May 2017

MINUTES OF THE SWEFLING PARISH COUNCIL ANNUAL MEETING HELD IN THE VILLAGE HUT, SWEFFLING ON TUESDAY 9TH MAY 2017 AT 8:00 PM

  1. Election of Chair and signing of Declaration of Office
    Cllr. John Stanley was nominated by Cllr. Martin Wyard and seconded by Cllr. Audrey Lummis to remain in office as Chairman. All members present voted in favour. Cllr. John Stanley completed and signed the Declaration of Office and the Clerk signed as witness.
  2. Election of Vice-Chair
    Cllr. Isobel McGovern was nominated by Cllr. John Stanley and seconded by Cllr. Martin Wyard to be Vice-Chairman. All members present voted in favour.
  3. Attendance and Apologies
    Attendees:Apologies for absence:
    Cllr. John Stanley - ChairCllr. John Tesh – written and accepted
    Cllr. Steve Smith - Vice ChairDistrict Cllr. Carol Poulter
    Cllr. Isobel McGovernCounty Cllr. Stephen Burroughes
    Cllr. Audrey Lummis
    Cllr. Jude ChinIn attendance:
    Cllr. Martin WyardSharon Smith - Clerk/RFO
    Cllr. Steve Smith handed a letter of resignation to the Chair. On behalf of the Parish Council, the Chair thanked Cllr. Smith for his many years of service and valued contribution. Cllr. Smith returned these thanks to everyone in the Parish Council.
    ACTION: Clerk to notify the Returning Officer at SCDC to initiate the process of filling the vacancy.
  4. Declarations of Pecuniary and Non-Pecuniary Interests
    There were no declarations. Councillors were reminded of the requirement to update their Register of Interests as appropriate.
  5. Public Forum
    a) A member of the public asked whether the new village website could be accessed online. Cllr. John Stanley replied that the webmaster was still building the website.
    ACTION: Clerk to follow-up.
    b)
    District Cllr. Carol Poulter’s report, previously circulated, was noted.
  6. Minutes of the Meeting
    The minutes of the meeting held on Tuesday11th April 2017, copies of which had been previously circulated, were proposed by Cllr. Isobel McGovern and seconded by Cllr. Jude Chin. They were approved as a true and accurate record and were signed by the Chair.
  7. Matters Arising
    a) Cllr. John Stanley, referring to item 3a, said County Cllr. Stephen Burroughes will provide support to install a Speed Indictor Device (SID) on the B1119 when the 30 mph speed limit is in place. It is likely the SID will be shared with another Parish Council to reduce costs. Cllr. Martin Wyard said he was happy to set up a Community Speed Watch team.
    b) Cllr. John Stanley, referring to item 10a, reported that some residents were concerned with the proposed erection of a 25m telecommunications mast at Poplar Farm, Holden’s Lane. Cllr. Stanley said another consultation will be held, details of which can be found on a post in Holden’s Lane. The consultation period ends on 17th May 2017.
    c) Cllr. Steve Smith, referring to item 10b, said the resident was still concerned that the wire netting across the Gull may cause an obstruction.
    ACTION: Cllr. John Stanley to follow-up.
    d) John Stanley followed up the actions in the minutes and those that were not completed are detailed in Appendix I.
  8. Village Matters
    a) Cllr. John Stanley reported that he attended a Broadband for Suffolk meeting in Bruisyard Village Hall organised by David Smith, Suffolk County Council. At the moment, premises in Sweffling receive broadband by copper wire, though there is fibre optic cable to the box. Sweffling is due for an upgrade in June 2019. A new box is to be installed near Bridge Farm and fibre optic cable will be provided to premises delivering superfast broadband speeds of between 100 mbps and 300 mbps, though this is not guaranteed.
    b) Cllr. John Stanley reported he has taken delivery of the grit bins which need to be sited around the village by October 2017. The new bins will replace the current grit and salt heaps which are considered to be damaging the environment and will no longer be supported by the County Council. The grit bins will be replenished by Highways in October or November each year.
    ACTION: Cllr. John Stanley to progress.
  9. Finance
    a) The Council noted the latest financial position detailed in Appendix II.
    b) The Council reviewed and approved the bank reconciliation as at 31st March 2017.
    c) The Council reviewed and approved the budgeted versus actual expenditure and income for the financial year 2016/17.
    d) The Council authorised the following payments en bloc. Proposed by Cllr. John Stanley and seconded by Cllr. Jude Chin. All were in favour
    DetailsPayeeAmountPower
    Clerk’s SalarySharon Smith£111.59LGA 1972 s.112
    Petrol for MowerAndy Franklin£20.00LGA 1972 s.111

    e) It was agreed to appoint Cllr. Isobel McGovern as an additional signatory to the bank accounts. ACTION: Clerk to complete bank mandate forms for Cllr. Isobel McGovern.
  10. Administration
    a) The Council reviewed and approved the Risk Assessment.
    b) The Council reviewed the effectiveness of their current Internal Auditor and all were in favour of appointing Mr Ken Goddard again.
    ACTION: Clerk to liaise with Mr Goddard.
    c) The Council approved the completion of the Clerk’s probationary period.
    d) Cllr. Steve Smith informed the Clerk that the Council’s Safeguarding Policy needs to be reviewed and approved.
    ACTION: Clerk to progress.
  11.  Correspondence
    The Councillors noted the correspondence received between 6th April 2017 and 3rd May 2017 detailed in Appendix III.
  12. Questions to the Chair
    None.
  13. Next Meeting
    The date and time of the next meeting is scheduled for Tuesday 13th June 2017 at 7:30 pm in the Village Hut.

The meeting closed at 9:15 pm.


Appendix I – Outstanding Actions

 

Meeting Date Item Ref Action Responsibility Comments
06/09/16 4f Jubilee field inspection – contact Flagship about damage Cllr. John Stanley Ongoing
06/09/16 4f Arrange SCDC play equipment inspection Clerk Ongoing
10/01/17 6a Inform SCDC of location of grit bins when in position Clerk Ongoing
10/01/17 6c Progress repairs to the village sign. Cllr. John Stanley To be added to next month’s agenda.
10/01/17 10b Upload statutory documents to the village website. Clerk Clerk to contact village webmaster again.
11/04/17 6d Churchyard maintenance – SCDC response awaited on ‘closure process’. Clerk Ongoing

 

Appendix II – Financial Position

Bank Balances as at 12 April 2017
Barclays Community Account £102.98
Barclays Premium Account £1,853.45
£1,956.43
Allocated Funds and Reserves
Reserves £500.00
Big Lottery Fund – Village Hut £395.00
Adnams Community Fund – Jubilee Field £188.00
SCDC – Jubilee Field £281.67
SALC – Office Equipment £138.20
£1,502.87
Bank Balance less Allocated Funds and Reserves £453.56
Income – April/May 2017
SCDC – Grant for Grit Bins £575.50
SCDC – Precept 1st Instalment £1,650.00
  £2,225.50
 
Payments – April/May 2017
Andy Franklin – Petrol for Mower £30.00
Clerk’s Salary £111.59
Reece Safety Products – Grit Bins £690.60
£832.19
Net Balance £1,846.87

 

Appendix III – Correspondence

a) SALC – Information Bulletins – 10th, 17th and 24th April 2017.

b) SCC – Temporary Traffic Regulation Notice, B1119, 21st – 25th April 2017.

c) Bruisyard PC – Defibrillator Training, 3rd May 2017.

d) Email from a resident – Proposed withdrawal of local bus service 62.

e) SCDC – Remittance Advice, first instalment of precept.

f)  EDF Energy – Sizewell B Newsletter March 2017.

g) SALC – LAIS 1398 Running Free Consultation.

h) Community Defibrillators Awareness Campaign.

 

 

AM Minutes – 9 May 2017